Monday, June 20, 2005

Southern Void

I guess I shouldn't reference something for which I have no details, but there is a meeting coming up regarding the redevelopment of South Elm Street south of Lee Street (the land where Action Greensboro initially proposed building the baseball stadium). Due to the poverty and perceived unsafety of the surrounding neighborhoods, I think whatever goes there needs to have a strong anchor that will serve to draw people and development to the area (as opposed to simply building housing and retail in hopes that people will follow). I wish Guilford Technical Community College could have developed their new campus in this area--as opposed to on the outskirts of town on Wendover--as I think GTCC could serve as just such an anchor. In Charlotte, by analogy, both the community college and Johnson and Whales have served as anchors for development in similarly situated areas and have been catalysts for other development.

1 Comments:

At 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you. I agree with most of your comments about downtown GSO. I am also new to GSO and to blogging....but just commenting to comment. My first blog response!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home